Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ranunculus


I wanted ranunculus flowers in my bridal bouquet, but I got married in July.  Unfortunately, ranunculus flowers bloom in the spring and wilt in the heat, so this was not the flower for my Utah wedding.  Ranuculus is a beautiful alternative to roses and is infinitely easier to grow.  They are known to be frost hardy cool-season perennials that like mild winters and cool, long springs.  

My husband thinks these flowers are perennials in SC, but I think they are annuals.  First, because we bought them in the annuals section of Hyam's, second because we have insanely long, hot summers here.  I am about 75% sure they will wilt in the heat and die completely.  If, however, their tubers survive, I will be completely and utterly delighted.

They have been blooming continuously since we planted them Valentine's Day weekend.

The pink ranunculus, above, has wavier petals than the flowers I have seen grown for the floral industry, below:

Image credit: blog.bloomsbythebox.com

I love the tight, prolific petals of these flowers.  If I had ranunculus in a bouquet, I would rather have these than the type of petals in my garden's ranunculus.  However, both are beautiful and I have loved having these in my front yard.  

We also have red and orange plants.  They didn't photograph as well but they look beautiful in person.



Ranunculus typically come in white, red, pink, and orange.  This is such a unique and beautiful flower I was tickled pink when my husband found some for me!

I also love this Cannon lens that allows me to capture clear pictures up close!

No comments:

Post a Comment